What is a CMMS?
A Computerized Maintenance Management System is a software tool allowing companies to perform sound management of their maintenance and centralize all the information in a database for the benefit of all stakeholders.
The concept of CMMS originates from the 1980s where just being able to automate work orders, schedule office of company resources and print as needed, greatly improved people's working conditions of maintenance. Today'S CMMS integrates not only maintenance of all types (corrective, preventive, conditional, predictive, ...), but also the procurement functions, security of working conditions, links with production planning systems (sometimes automatated) which makes work even more effectively, links with accounting systems to transfer information without error, and a multitude of other functions which now make a CMMS an indispensable tool for any responsible company.
Features of a CMMS:
A CMMS can have a multitude of features, but basically it must include:
- Centralisation of equipment information, categorization, localization and function
- Corporate Resources, whether material or human, availability and competence
- Spare parts inventory with replenishment management
- Planning, implementation and monitoring of maintenance
- Workplace security (lockout, confined spaces)
- Communication between stakeholders
- Analysis and performance indicators (KPI)
Benefits of a CMMS :
- Managing jobs without loss of information, improving the quality of work
- Reduced maintenance costs
- Better monitoring of budgets
- Reduced Response Times
- Increased availability of spare parts
- Increased reliability and equipment availability, increased productivity
- Better control of the activity of employees and subcontractors
- Improving the preventive / corrective ratio, reduction of emergency situations
The needs and benefits may vary from one sector to another, but the contribution of CMMS software within a company always generates positive results, helping to control the situation and improving results at all levels.